top of page
  • Writer's pictureSurvivor or Caregiver

TBI One Love Survivor Lael Lloyd

Hello. My name is Lael Lloyd. My story is an example of how a TBI doesn’t have to come from a hit to the head but instead could be from any sudden deceleration. I did receive an initial hit to the head-on November 25, 2015. I was accidentally pushed and hit my head against a brick wall!

Looking back now, I can see that this caused a concussion, but at the time I was not sure if it was a concussion or not. I had a constant headache after this. This did not cause my TBI though. It was not until a week and a half later that I sustained the TBI through sudden deceleration that happened while I was riding in the back of a truck on a camping trip in the desert. I emerged out of that truck feeling like I was swaying on a boat. I went to sleep that night with a loud ringing in my left ear that sounded like radio static. 

The next morning, I tried to go to work like it was a normal day, but I was struggling to function. I felt dizzy and nauseous. I went to the ER but they couldn’t find anything wrong with me and sent me home. The ER doctor even told me I was okay to run a 5k that weekend! The doctor said it was okay so I ran that race. It was the San Diego Santa Run so while I tried to run through crowds of Santa costumes, I was fighting for control of my own body. I had fuzzy vision as I tried to drive home after that run. 

I am a school teacher and I like to be busy, so even though a neurologist finally told me after two months that I had post concussive syndrome, I still did my best to go to work every day. Each day I would start off feeling alright but after only a few hours, I would begin to feel spacey. My mind would become blank.  After 4 months of stubbornly trying to keep up at work, I finally had to admit that I just couldn’t do a good job at work at that time. I felt guilty leaving my students with a substitute teacher who didn’t know how to teach them the material. I went on disability and was away from work for 4 months.

When I returned to work the next August, I only worked until noon for the first two months back. Each day back at work was such a challenge that I would drive home and immediately sleep for two hours. My dark bedroom was a place of solace. The doctors that I went to told me to go home and rest and my brain would heal itself. I began to realize that these doctors did not have the answers for me. I began to seek out the answers on my own.

In January of 2017 I found a chiropractic neurologist who gave me hope. He tested me for 2 hours the first time I went to see him. The very next time I saw him, he had a detailed action plan for me. Finally, someone was on my side and giving me active strategies to foster healing. I still see this chiropractic neurologist every two weeks. I am back at work now, but I still wear sunglasses while indoors because the fluorescent lights bother me. I take naps whenever I can get them.

This brain injury has opened my eyes to the difficulties experienced by people with chronic health issues and I am passionate about helping others through nutrition now. I am going to school to become a nutritional therapist. I want to help others feel better by helping them choose the right kinds of foods.  I teach writing to middle school students and I would like to share my own experience with you about what it is like to live with post concussive syndrome!

I will be starting a blog soon and you can be one of the first to read it by connecting with me on Instagram at @headingtowardhealing.

I am thankful to be able to share my story and to learn from other stories, thank you TBI One Love for this gift!

47 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All
bottom of page