top of page
  • Writer's pictureSurvivor or Caregiver

TBI One Love Survivor Carmen Knight

Hello, my name is Carmen Knight and I am 39 years old. On the 13th of May 2011 was the day that changed my whole life! I felt unwell so I went to my local medical Centre where I suffered a VF Arrest, I was defibrillated 8 times and had CPR for approximately 40 minutes, in that time I died twice. I was administered adrenaline and amiodarone before return of circulation. I was intubated and was taken to my local hospital by ambulance and was further transferred to another hospital. I was in a coma for approximately 4 days. An AICD was implanted on 26th of May 2011.

When I woke up was when family and friends had noticed I had quite severe memory problems, coming in and out of consciousness I kept asking the same questions repeatedly. I was discharged on the 27th of May 2011 taken into the care of my ex's sister at the time, I was there for 2-3 weeks then I went home. 

I knew it wasn't just a heart attack when I came out of hospital. I had been dropped off at My local hospital for Cardiac Rehabilitation (exercises) & when it was time to go home I had no idea what bus to catch to get myself home. The bus driver had asked me where I wanted to be dropped off & I couldn't tell him, I didn't know the names of the street or the nearest cross street, I panicked and I ended up on the wrong bus & had to walk 15-20 minutes to get back to my home. That's when I knew my memory was bad!

As I had no idea what was wrong and couldn't explain to others what I was feeling, and the drs didn't say at the time what to do or how to treat it or if they did I would have never remembered with now suffering short term memory loss. My relationship broke down and I felt like I had to fend for myself because I didn't know how to get help or if there was help there, my local GP also didn't know proper treatment. I looked fine but inside I wasn't coping like I used too.

I know I was left to take care of myself & my 3 children who were 12, 8 and 6 at the time. I went to work but struggled a lot with short term memory. I worked for 3 years & struggled with everything from taking care of my children & their needs, working, I'd miss appointments with my heart specialist, I was always tired. I went & seen my Doctor in tears, I said I wasn't coping at work & she said maybe I need to leave work.

In that time I had received a letter from my cardiologist, it was on paper that I had a Hypoxic Brain Injury.

I googled Hypoxic Brain injury & all the symptoms I was having & still have were there, since then I have found pages on Facebook & that's how I found this supportive Family's page and got to join!

Thank you for helping me TBI One Love!


Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page